profile SOP

2693   5   0
8 posts
hi all

i am trying to learn houdini and as such want to recreate the level that was created at the bottom of the page in the video here

http//www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2139&Itemid=68

i have 2 curves going into separate sweep nodes, all working

the problem i am having is the next step of projecting the curve onto the surface and offsetting it to create the paths (

If anyone could show me a tutorial or step by step i would be massively appreciative

Thanks in advance
330 posts
broomy

the problem i am having is the next step of projecting the curve onto the surface and offsetting it to create the paths

hi and welcome ,

do you mind posting at least a screenshot of your network ?

or a sketch of what you want to achieve .. ?

usually a tiny illustrative hip file works best .
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
8 posts
hi and thanks )

i have attached my hip file for you, the project1_ThatDoesentSeemToWork node is the one that should as far as im aware have geometry resting on its surface from the pathGeo_Sweep and extracted using the profile.

Thats step one, then i need to offset/push/sculpt the underlying geo down to create a groove

I have also attached a viaual example of what im attempting

Thanks again

Attachments:
visualDescription.jpg (193.6 KB)
GameLevel.hipnc (68.1 KB)

330 posts
i wdnt suggest to proceed with NURBs on that point , because those are ‘unpredictable’ , ime .

use polygons instead at any resolution you like .

in my file there are two outputs : yellow nodes put path polygons into a special group , while the red nodes separate path from the terrain as geometry .

hope this helps ..

Attachments:
gamelevel_4851.hipnc (111.3 KB)

except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
8 posts
thanks for the input ill download the file and take a look when i get back tonight

Cheers )
8 posts
ok i think i understand a bit better now thanks for the help.
Unfortunately whenever i try to use polygons i get a crash, specifically to test it out im creating a grid and a tube, when i try to select the faces (primitives ?) of the tube to add them to an extrude or group i get a crash every time, must have tried it 20 times now. Bug in houdini/apprentice or am i doing something wrong?

cheers )
  • Quick Links