Copying Particle motion to geo

3341   9   2
217 posts
Hi,

A geo with different pieces should be animated with particles…
I used the centroid expression to get one partcle for each piece. Afterwards they get some motion. Now I try to use the piece number and the particle number to copying the particle motion back on its related piece. Any help to achive this relationship would be a great help.

Enclosed a test file!

thanks!

Attachments:
ParticleAnimation.hip (134.9 KB)

330 posts
hi ,

take a look into the foreach3 SOP ..

.cheers

–edit :
maybe you do not even need the po attrib and you can optimize the flow more for a better performance ..

Attachments:
partizleanimation_125.hipnc (145.0 KB)

except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
217 posts
thanks a lot zarti!!!
i will take a look!
217 posts
what exactly do the both delet sops? I don't get it Zarti.

Thanks a lot!
330 posts
mickyblue
what exactly do the both delet sops? I don't get it Zarti.

just making me sure that nothing else exists inside of each iteration , but the needed ‘ actors ’ .

so , let say , on 3rd iteration only the 3rd particle , 3rd center of group point and only the 3rd chunk group are processed and merged with previous iterations .

anyway , depending on your case ( heaviness ) , there might be other smarter ways worthy to investigate ..

.glad i could help and cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
217 posts
thanks!!!
339 posts
Here's a fast solution that uses vops, this relies on matching the class attribute of each piece with it's corresponding particle by point number.

Attachments:
particleanimation_vops.hip (148.0 KB)

Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
217 posts
Great tjeeds!!! I like this one too!

later this day I will look how this both setups work with some point(normal) rotation.
217 posts
Well i just noticed that your setup only works for same looking objects…
tjeeds could it work if everything before the “connectivity1 sop” is fixed… lets say a featured Geo with a lot of different pieces?
339 posts
It actually works very well for unlike objects too, you just make sure you have a point for every object and use each objects class value to look up the corresponding point number. So if you have 200 pieces of unique debris you would create 200 points, move them and then move each piece to the point. It does depend on you objects being at the origin though, so be mindful of that. Also orientation is another issue, the Copy sop handles these things for you but to do it yourself you must build a rotation matrix from velocity or something. While the Copy sop is easier to use, stamping is slow when dealing with lots of geometry, this approach is much quicker but might initially feel more complex.
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
  • Quick Links