Actual Pyro2 and FLIP-Fluid Tutorials?

4233   4   3
33 posts
Hey there

I'm exploring smoke, fire and liquids in houdini at the moment and I'm wondering if there are some good (actual!) learning resources (fundamentals) to start from. Anything would help, books, video tutorials,…just fire ahead!

My problem I'm facing at the moment is, that most of the existing tutorial material out there (sidefx, digital tutors, cmi-vfx, fxphd, etc.) regarding these topcis are more or less outdated since H12 introduced a completely new approach with Pyro2 and FLIP-Fluids. Most of the workflows are dramatically changed so you can't rely on already existing, older tutorials.

The only difference is the sidefx waterfall tutorials for Flip Fluids in H12! This is absolutely great, but it is a littel heavy for a beginner like me. For Pyro 2 is as far as I know, there isnt really material out there anywhere yet (correct me please if I'm wrong!)

Since these topics (smoke, fire, liquids) are more on the complex side I would really appreciate a little help. I of course tried to dig through myself (using the shelf, trying to encrypt all the nodes it lays down), but only going that way will take very long and might get frustrating. Maybe you guy's tumbled over something usefull you are willing to share

Thx in advance! Looking forward to your answers!
Houdini rocks!

cheers
Philipp
www.scratch-arts.net
6 posts
Hi!

Check out this link: https://vimeo.com/user2030228/videos [vimeo.com]

This guy has a lot of free tutorials and there is one called “Smoke in H12” He doesn't use the pyrosolver but as he says at the beginning it's more important to know how to do these simulations from the ground and when you understand how that works, then you can use the pyrofx and you can understand it better.
33 posts
Thx for your comment!

I know a lot of peter's tutorials and he is really awesome! I already went through his Smoke stuff, and that has been pretty enlightening! But unfortunately he has nothing on Pyro2 and very little on FLIP liquids yet. I'll keep watching
www.scratch-arts.net
696 posts
A new tutorial seems to be out:

http://bit.ly/LaQDY9 [bit.ly]

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
33 posts
Oh Yes!

I just saw it on facebook the other day and watched it instantly!
It's cool to see that sidefx is keeping up doing all those great tutorials!

But thx for your tip rafaels! I'm glad to have such a responsive community on my hands to ask questions, this is just great!
www.scratch-arts.net
  • Quick Links