globPoints() treats "" and "*" patterns

3224   4   1
65 posts
Hi,

hou.Geometry.globPoints() and hou.Geometry.globPrims() treat the empty string “” and the “*” pattern as invalid. These patterns are valid in other operators like the group SOP.

should I report a bug, or this is intentional?

thanks in advance
Mate
299 posts
You should use .points() or .prims() if you wan't all.

There is an example in the docs.
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/hom/hou/Geometry#globPoints [sidefx.com]
Drive, monkey, drive!
65 posts
I want to use it in an asset where the user supply the pattern string. Now I have to test these special cases explicitly which isn't very nice.
299 posts
Well * don't work in group fields on SOP nodes either so makes sense it don't work here either (Pattern field on the Group Node and the group field on for example a Edit node works different).

Leaving it just blank makes no selection at all on regular SOP. Would be nice I guess if it acted exactly the same here.

I guess you can submit an RFE on the wildcard handling and a bug report on globPoints not being consistent for blank.
Drive, monkey, drive!
65 posts
You are right. I only tested it with the Group SOP which for whatever reason accepted ‘*’ as a pattern but the majority of the SOPs does not. So it leaves that one has to test only if the pattern is present or not, which is probably not that bad since you may choose an optimized branch that doesn't test and limit the effect of the OP.
  • Quick Links