CMIVFX videos?

3663   6   2
26 posts
So I got this really intriguing email about a sale and was wondering which videos folks liked best?

It looks like some maybe be a little dated and some maybe a little to advanced –I would definitely say I am not advanced by any means.

A few that catch my eye —The procedural building making, The L Syetems, The shading and rendering one.

thanks,
Rich
257 posts
The recent debris system was informative and wasn't too advance for myself!

I dont know how comfortable you are with Houdini. If you are completely new to it, watching “First Steps” series would be beneficial!

eitht.
696 posts
Of all the CMIvfx videos I bought, the one that really sticks out is the Procedural Animation one. Lots of good insights…
The fundamentals one is good for beginners, but now SESI has a “first steps” series that's way more in-depth.
Fluids for TDs is also very good, a bit advanced and somewhat outdated since the fluid sourcing in H12 changed so much. Still definitely a good one.
I've bough a few other titles that I haven't had a chance to watch ops:, But CMI's videos are a good source nevertheless.
Things that hardly get outdated are in the field of procedural modeling and animation (VEX, L-Systems among others) and more general techniques. If you're buying something try to stick to those. I also bought the SSS shader building, but was way too specific and now with the new surface model it's not soooo relevant anymore.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
245 posts
I've bought the VEX volume 1 tutorial.. its really nice!
14 posts
i work at cmiVFX so i am biased somewhat.

i of course highly recommend all of our titles, BUT!

as a beginner i was quite lost regardless of the various resources available until… peter quint's vimeo channel [vimeo.com].

i have yet to watch all of peter's free lessons, but i will eventually. there are over 130 that cover just about every topic you can imagine.

his lessons tied together and completed all of the previous ‘commercial’ offerings for me.

you will get more out of any houdini lesson IF you first follow peter's ‘basic’ titles.

btw, the above mentioned debris lesson teaches the network used in the film ‘ice age: continental drift’.
the procedural buildings lesson also mentioned above is due for an update for h12, i am searching for someone qualified to do that.

eric@cmivfx.com
26 posts
hey –thanks for your feedback —I appreciate your input.

rich
257 posts
Just had a glimpse of the shot in ice age4 eric was talking about inside of the new Houdini reel, very nice!

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2230&Itemid=66

eitht.
  • Quick Links