Gaps in Voronoi output

2716   3   0
21 posts
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help with gaps in Voronoi mesh output? I have an example file, made in Maya originally as a cylinder with some twist and flare deformers added.

Not all meshes give me this problem, seems like most are fine but a few troublesome tests like this make me want to really figure out what is going on before I try to fracture a bunch of content!

I disabled creation of interior surfaces so it was easier to debug. Anyone have any ideas or solutions?
Thanks,
-Matt

Attachments:
voronoi_gaps.jpg (24.8 KB)
voronoi_gaps.zip (21.5 KB)

21 posts
Just realized I should have posted this in the technical forum. If any mods see this can you kindly move this post? Might stand a better chance getting answered there, my mistake!
2624 posts
Hi,
The gaps are there because your input geometry lacks correct normals and lacks enough resolution. Looking at just one quad the fracture tool has no other choice than to average where the new points are due to the poor topology. subdividing it , adding new normals and cusping each piece in a foreach fixes it. With some increase in the fuse points parameter in the fracture sop.

rob
Gone fishing
21 posts
Thanks man, that is very helpful feedback. One point I'm a little unclear on is “With some increase in the fuse points parameter in the fracture sop.”

Where in the fracture sop is there a setting for fuse points? Is this a custom tool you are referring to? I don't see anything for this in the standard voronoi fracture sop. It's weird because I see fuse points as a setting I can alter on the help docs: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/nodes/sop/voronoifracture [sidefx.com] - but this parameter is missing from my voronoi sop in Houdini12. Was this removed?
  • Quick Links