volume primitives in GPD libraries

2865   5   1
15 posts
Hi,

geo and bgeo format is great as you can store any type of data with it.
I would like to export and import volumes primitives in geo and bgeo format. GPD libraries version 1 do not have any volume primitives Class. Is there a more recent version than the 2008 version?
Claire
http://www.coclea.eu [coclea.eu]
1390 posts
coclea
Hi,

I would like to export and import volumes primitives in geo and bgeo format. GPD libraries version 1 do not have any volume primitives Class. Is there a more recent version than the 2008 version?

Nope. Moreover, it's depreciated all together. As of H12, there is a new geometry library. Houdini can write to the old format though with *.h(b)classic extension, but I'm not sure if this is best idea. How about field3d?
383 posts
I would be very interested in this too. Till now I used numpy .npy files to get volumes into other applications … it works but there are some strange issues between linux/windows data transfer …
www.woogieworks.at
15 posts
SYmek
coclea
Hi,

Nope. Moreover, it's depreciated all together. As of H12, there is a new geometry library. Houdini can write to the old format though with *.h(b)classic extension, but I'm not sure if this is best idea. How about field3d?

The problem is that then you have to interface field3d files with houdini. If I write directly in a houdini format, then I can reopen the files in houdini without having to write an importer. I just have to write exporters.
Claire
1390 posts
coclea
The problem is that then you have to interface field3d files with houdini. If I write directly in a houdini format, then I can reopen the files in houdini without having to write an importer. I just have to write exporters.

Definitely, albeit volumes were never implemented in the GPD library. Field3d GEO_Translator is a part [sidefx.com] of HDK examples, so it shouldn't be that hard. Other than that, you are alone with custom reader for volumes in new json based format…
15 posts
SYmek
coclea

Definitely, albeit volumes were never implemented in the GPD library. Field3d GEO_Translator is a part [sidefx.com] of HDK examples, so it shouldn't be that hard. Other than that, you are alone with custom reader for volumes in new json based format…
Will try it. There is also the maya export plugin inthe contrib folder. Thanks
Claire
  • Quick Links