ramp random

6603   11   0
111 posts
Hello everyone, I wonder if it is possible to create a ramp random inside Houdini. I create a grid, and want to delete prims by random, but less top, more down. Hope some one can help methanks a lot!

Attachments:
ramp random question.hip (59.0 KB)

197 posts
You can color you primitives using a color, and than create a group geometry that selects by color, than delete this group, I'll have a look and get back to you.
197 posts
This gives control by group based of color, so you can change the ramp, you could automate it by having the ramps range change based on the geo (So if it was bigger it would stretch over the size), but this is good for now, If you don't know where to go from this, I might spend a bit more time on it.

Attachments:
ramp_random_question_1992.hip (79.5 KB)

111 posts
thank you very much I check the file, but find it is a little bit not what I seek. Not only a ramp I want to create, but a random deleting is also the goal. The density of deleted prims are based on the ramp direction. Hope I express myself more clearly this time But the file is still very helpful and I am very appreciated.
197 posts
If you can figure out how to use two attributes to do the deleting you could multiply the random deletion by the ramp, like I said, if i get more time I'll further look into it.
111 posts
thank you very much, I have worked it out! The method is really useful.
197 posts
Can I see the hip file? Wouldn't mind seeing how you did it in the end.
111 posts
ok, here is the file.Have fun.

Attachments:
ramp_random_question_fixed.hip (87.0 KB)

197 posts
Thanks, Keen to see how you patched the methods together!

*Edit*
Very nice indeed, what was this for?
18 posts
This can also be done with a simple vop which does the math and then promoting the attribute from points to primitives. It's faster (even though that doesn't really matter much in small scale example), and if you replace the random with some noise inside, you get much more control over what's going on in there.

Attachments:
ramp_random_question_vop.hipnc (99.8 KB)

Technical Director @ Kredenc
www.mkolar.com [mkolar.com]
197 posts
That's definitely the way to go.
111 posts
To Delight0092 what was this for?
I am working on an architecture project, the mission is to insert 25000 old bricks inside 60000 bricks, in ramp random way. So I have to do this
To mkolar:
The method is great, I never considered using VOP. But the problem of my project is the deleted number of my prims are fixed. But it is still great way to solve the case. Thank you.
  • Quick Links