Bezier interpolation on ramps

5736   7   2
142 posts
Is it just me or does everyone find it quite annoying there are no bezier interpolation types on the ramps? Even simple Ease-in/Ease-out options would be handy… its very hard to get a nice logarithmic style curve out of the ramps (in float mode that is).

I am a relatively new user so i might be missing something here.
373 posts
Nope, you're absolutely right. It'd be awesome to have. However, in those cases you can create a curve with keyframes on a spare parm, and use `chf(channel, frame)` to do a curve lookup based on some value instead.
Ian Farnsworth
2624 posts
chf() has saved the day more often than I care to count

Rob
Gone fishing
14 posts
Could you post an example Solitude? I didn't quite get it
373 posts
Yup, here ya go, a super simple example that uses a custom curve from 0-100 where I look up the value of pscale based on `rand($PT) * 100` giving me a random frame from 0-100 for each point to look up that frame on the curve to get my final value for pscale. So you get a lot of small spheres, but only a handful of bigger ones based on my curve. Also try $BBX to get an idea of how it works as well.

Attachments:
chf_pscale.hipnc (54.6 KB)

Ian Farnsworth
14 posts
Thanks a bunch man. Always nice with new tricks
18 posts
Great tip Solitude!

Looks like I will be swearing at Houdini much less thanks to this.
Technical Director @ Kredenc
www.mkolar.com [mkolar.com]
249 posts
It would still be amazing to have tangent handles on ramp parameters or a compact way of embedding the channel editor in the parameter interface. I can imagine which one is easier to do.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
  • Quick Links