Houdini12 Cloth Problem !

4888   10   3
1391 posts
Hi
I created a simple Cloth in houdini 11 to simulate simple crash.
I used pintoanimation attribute to switch between keyframe animation and dynamic animation.

In Houdini 11 every things are correct but in Houdini 12 I think pintoanimation dose not work !

Because Cloth system changed in Houdini 12 !

How I can use pintoanimation attribute to switch between keyframe animation and dynamic animation in Houdini 12 ?

Attachments:
SimpleCrash.hip (155.7 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
696 posts
Hi,

I don't remember exactly why (maybe workflow unification?) but it was determined that animated parameters need to happen inside a SOP Solver.
Your sample file breaks on me, probably cause it came from H11 so check the attached file.

Cheers

Attachments:
cloth_sop_solver.hip (133.7 KB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
1391 posts
really thanks man

but I can switch between keyframe animation and cloth simulation only with “pintoanimation” attribute in Houdini 11 .

this way is too simple for me.

but when I open project file in Houdini 12 this is does not work !

I sent to you Houdini 11 and Houdini 12 Project files.

please check attr_pintoanimation SOP node in the sphere_Cloth network.

Attachments:
SimpleCrash_Houdini12.hip (201.5 KB)
SimpleCrash_Houdini11.hip (155.7 KB)

Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
1391 posts
and I have another question, why Plastic effect for cloth does not work in Houdini 12 but it's work in Houdini 11 correctly ?
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
696 posts
Cloth in H12 went through a lot of improvement, hence the changes in workflow and why sometimes files won't be transferable between the different houdini versions. It's not that complicated though, just a matter of adding the multisolver, sop solver and doing your animation stuff inside the sop solver.

I haven't played with plastic deformation, but as far as I know it does work in H12.

Hope it helps,

Cheers
Toronto - ON
1391 posts
Really thanks.
I can do it with use multisolver
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
1391 posts
Really thanks.
I can do it with use multisolver
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
2 posts
Sorry for opening this up again but i cant quite wrap my head around the SOP solver in Houdini.

Im just trying to move a simple Sphere, first with Keyframes and then let the Cloth Solver take over. My DOP Network has the Cloth and SOP Solver connected to a Multi Solver and the Cloth Sphere is Connected as the Input.

Inside my SOP Solver i have a Transform Node with Keyframes for moving my Sphere. The strange thing, for me at least, is that it seems to work when Im inside the SOP Solver and run the Simulation but not when Im outside…

Do i have to use an Attribute Create for this or have to send the Data from inside the SOP Solver up to the Multi Solver ?! If so, how do I send Data back to the DOP Network ?!

Thanks for helping!

Kai
696 posts
Check the attached file. Basically you don't need to animate the transform inside the sop solver, only the attribute (pin to animation). Any points with that attribute set to 1 will follow the animation. Then you just have to, at some point, turn it off and let the cloth follow it's course.

Cheers

Attachments:
animated_pin_to_animation.hip (106.3 KB)

Toronto - ON
2 posts
Thank you! In the end it was easier as i thought it would be… But i have another question concerning the inner workings of the Solver.

As i understand it, the SOP Solver fetches the Data from the DOP Network but why can a simple Attribute Create decide if the Object should use keyframes or Dynamics? Is it just an On/Off Switch and with the Attribute set at Off (or 0) the Cloth Solver takes over?

Also is there some White Paper or something to help me understand how Houdini works with the SOP and DOP Solvers?!

And again, thanks for helping me!

Kai
696 posts
KRump
As i understand it, the SOP Solver fetches the Data from the DOP Network but why can a simple Attribute Create decide if the Object should use keyframes or Dynamics? Is it just an On/Off Switch and with the Attribute set at Off (or 0) the Cloth Solver takes over?

Yes, it's just an attribute. Check the help page for the cloth object and all (or most of it) will make sense. Animated attributes need to go through a SOP solver though or they won't update inside DOPs.

KRump
Also is there some White Paper or something to help me understand how Houdini works with the SOP and DOP Solvers?!

There are lots in the Side FX website, as well in Peter Quint's tutorials.

KRump
And again, thanks for helping me!

You're welcome!
Toronto - ON
  • Quick Links