Question about Apprentice HD

5040   4   0
4 posts
Hi,

I am considering to start learning Houdini and I was thinking about buying the Houdini Apprentice HD, but I am wondering if I can start using the free Aprentice version (non HD) and then later buy a license for Apprentice HD without having to reinstall the software - so in other words is the free version the same software that just needs to be activated in order to work in full HD and without watermarks?

Also, I am a little in doubt if there are any significant differences between Houdini Apprentice HD and Houdini FX apart from the latter being for commercial use?

Thanks in advance
Staff
1182 posts
It is the same software. The difference is that you would use a different license which would remove any Apprentice restrictions (render size, hipnc file format…)
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
349 posts
The Houdini download is all in one. Apprentice, HD apprentice and FX commercial in the same download, it's the licenses that separate them. Don't forget apprentice is pretty much the full commercial download with a few limitations, namely render size and .hip/.nipnc save files.
You would need to return your apprentice licenses and manually install the HD licenses, which is pretty straight forward.

Edit; rmagee beat me to it
4 posts
Thanks for your replies - that sounds good

Regarding the .hip/.hipnc stuff is that just to make the files from Apprentice incompatible with the FX commercial edition?
Staff
3455 posts
tgaDK
Thanks for your replies - that sounds good

Regarding the .hip/.hipnc stuff is that just to make the files from Apprentice incompatible with the FX commercial edition?

yep.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links