Alembic Export - UV's and MBlur

12054   3   2
15 posts
Wondering if anyone has had similar issues as this:

Am exporting an RBD sim from Houdini to Maya for lighting via Alembic:

Unless I triangulate the mesh before export, the Alembic importer in Maya tells me the UV's are not per vertex and so do not come through. If I triangulated the mesh post-sim the UV's come through fine but the MBlur produces weird results in both VRay & Maya Software.

I've found I can solve this by triangulating the geo before sim and both UV's and MBlur are then fine - although regrettably by sim is 10% less awesome than it was.

The boffins at my company insist their importer is fine, and it's the Houdini exporter that might be the prob.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or aware if this is a known issue?..

Thanks

29 posts
Here is little bit info about the same problem.
http://code.google.com/p/alembic/issues/detail?id=263 [code.google.com]

Check it out.
I had little bit similar issue but it was because of changing poly count.

Mikal79

Unless I triangulate the mesh before export, the Alembic importer in Maya tells me the UV's are not per vertex and so do not come through. If I triangulated the mesh post-sim the UV's come through fine but the MBlur produces weird results in both VRay & Maya Software.

I've found I can solve this by triangulating the geo before sim and both UV's and MBlur are then fine - although regrettably by sim is 10% less awesome than it was.

The boffins at my company insist their importer is fine, and it's the Houdini exporter that might be the prob.

Thanks

Harsh Mistri
Effects TD
Method Studio Vancouver
Staff
2593 posts
Mikal79

Thanks

There's currently a bug in h12.1 w.r.t. motion blur. You can work around it by rendering at sub-frame increments (see subframe.zip).

w.r.t. the uv's, does your model in Houdini have point or vertex texture coordinates. Attached is a .zip file which has two boxes, one with point textures, the other with vertex textures. Do either version work in Maya?

Attachments:
uv.zip (12.2 KB)
subframe.zip (136.9 KB)

15 posts
Thanks for your feedback

I've tried both point and vertex UV's and both generated errors on import.

Haven't been able to test the sub-frame render in Maya yet, but as it's a known issue am happy to use the workaround for the time being.

Michael
  • Quick Links