Vex VopSop question.

4199   2   3
7 posts
hello I had a question about how these 2 differ from one another when use to deform geo.

I watched the CmiVFX Vex volume 1 and follow the twist deform formula, however I notice something. when Done in VopSop my deformation isn't as clean than when it's done in Vex. could someone explain to me why it does that?

I had thought the 2 were the same code.

plus on another question is why Vopsop vs Vex. performance?

thank you for any help.
61 posts
Sounds like a good question. I've started the same learning video but haven't gotten that far. I'm enjoying the VOP SOP at the moment and have this thread going right now:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=27162 [sidefx.com]

I guess the vop sop is a local vex op, where as vex is independent of sops.

~Shawn
Touch Designer User
320 posts
enderki
hello I had a question about how these 2 differ from one another when use to deform geo.

I watched the CmiVFX Vex volume 1 and follow the twist deform formula, however I notice something. when Done in VopSop my deformation isn't as clean than when it's done in Vex. could someone explain to me why it does that?

I had thought the 2 were the same code.

plus on another question is why Vopsop vs Vex. performance?

thank you for any help.

Are you referring to the difference between implementing VEX in SOP's vs. a Displacement shader rendered with Mantra ?

If this is the case, the rendered result is much smoother since Mantra dices the geometry to a very fine level of detail, where SOP's is typically not using near as many polygons. (More info here [sidefx.com])

You can put down a subdivide SOP and crank up the levels until your result more closely resembles Mantra's output, but take caution not to set it too high, or things will get really slow.

A VOP SOP is processed in real time as you are working in Houdini, so it's going to be much slower than Mantra.

Hope that helps
-Alan
www.alan-warren.com
  • Quick Links