downloading tutorials

6176   12   0
70 posts
hi everybody

the old tutorials in the tutorial page have links to download them but the new ones don't have such links. is there a way to download them?
636 posts
if it's a vimeo hosted video you can click the vimeo in the player and it will go direct on theres site.
on thers site you will find the download link click it and see the list of happy downloading. :-)
70 posts
i am from iran. in my country vimeo youtube etc are all filtered.
636 posts
is google also filtered in iran?

if no i can put the videos on my drive account and give you a download link.
otherwise you can ask sidefx if they can put it on there servers.
70 posts
that is very kind of you. but i don't want to trouble you. i just wanted to know whether there is any links somewhere else. i'll try using some anti proxy software although they're very slow.

many sites put their stuff on torrent so that people can download them without causing trouble for their servers. but i think because 99 percent of houdini fans have access to vimeo SESI finds it unnecessary.

thank you anyway.
636 posts
try this link:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwiafQTI5NDTQlVraXRrOGlfVU0 [docs.google.com]

(it will bring a security message because google can't check it for virus because it's not a doc file)

if it works i will try to put the new ones up when it's weekend.
70 posts
thank you very much. no it doesn't work. i press download anyway after it says the file cannot be checked for virus. but then nothing happens just the page gets reloaded.
636 posts
it's getting pretty hard to solve this. :-(
the best thing is to ask sidefx maybe they can help….
at the moment i can't do more… next weekend i can try something that can maybe help….
70 posts
it is ok. i will email them but some of them have probably already read this topic and said nothing so my guess is there is no way. but i will email them anyway.
1390 posts
ramin22
it is ok. i will email them but some of them have probably already read this topic and said nothing so my guess is there is no way. but i will email them anyway.

There is definitely some way, there must me some file sharing service accessible from inside Iran, right? You could check it out among your friends, and tell us so can put stuff there for you.

How about CGPersia? (cough…, cough…,)

skk.
Staff
1182 posts
ramin22

We moved the videos from the main website to Vimeo because tutorial file sizes were exploding and impacting day-to-day sidefx.com traffic. Vimeo allows us to keep sidefx.com downloads focused on daily builds and apprentice versions and Vimeo on tutorials and videos. Youtube has limits that have prevented us from using it for longer videos but those might be lifting at some point (mainly length and file size).

We know that there are other places in the world where this is an issue but don't have an easy answer. You concern has been noted and we will continue to look for new ways to offer the lessons. Is there a list somewhere of all the services blocked in your country?

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
70 posts
nearly everybody has access to anti proxy softwares. the problem is that the speed is reduced considerably. i personally use tor.

but the situation with torrent is a bit different. although torrent search sites like torrentz.com are filtered but after getting the torrent file(which is very small and downloading it through a proxy is not a problem at all) you need no proxy to download the real file.

i also think that torrent imposes less problems for SESI servers.(but that might be true when there others who spare the bits too.)

i don't think there is a list of all the blocked services. i think it is a process. everyday some new sites are filtered.
70 posts
There is definitely some way, there must me some file sharing service accessible from inside Iran, right? You could check it out among your friends, and tell us so can put stuff there for you.

How about CGPersia? (cough…, cough…,)

skk.

yes that is accessible. not filtered(yet) but it doesn't have it's own server's. people put rapidshare links and things like that there.

rapidshare and bytesbox.com are not filtered now. but i don't know about the future. and apparently rapidshare has lifted many of the limitations for free user's too(but i don't am not sure). so that might be an option too.
  • Quick Links