Where is the 'Mantra Surface' and 'VOP VEX surface SHOP'?

9304   2   2
5 posts
Where is the ‘Mantra Surface’ and ‘VOP VEX surface SHOP’ in Houdini12 ?

hi,all
I'm learning a houdini tutorial.
In the tutorial, the speaker says ‘VOP VEX surface SHOP’ can be found in ‘Mantra Surface’.
I use Houdini12 now, but I can't find ‘Mantra Surface’ and ‘VOP VEX surface SHOP’ in Houdini12.

I don't know what to do now, could you give me any guid?
696 posts
Mantra surface is in the material palette. Now the material palette might be in different place depending on your desktop setup… :roll:

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
Staff
1182 posts
A VOP VEX surface shop has actually been renamed “Material Shader Builder” or “vopmaterial.” You can get this by going to the shop context in the network view and pressing tab>Material>Material Shader Builder. This is basically an empty vop network with some of the default gobals and outputs ready to go. To make this into a material you would need to do a number of things:

1) Wire in a Surface Model vop - this gives you your shading properties.
2) Add any parameter nodes, texture maps or other nodes to set up how the shader works
3) Add opengl parameters to the shop itself and organize the whole UI using the type properties panel.

A faster option is to go to the material palette, drag a Mantra Surface material into your scene and all of this work has been done for you. This is a generalized material which will cover many of your needs. If not then you can extend the material's functionality by editing how its network works.

Another option is to drag a Surface Model material into your scene. It has a much simpler VOP network (only a surface model node and some parameter nodes) in case you want to build up a material yourself - this is closer to the vopmaterial approach but saves you time because the opengl parameters and the surface model vop are in place.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links