Why can't I use the Houdini expression editor?

7309   3   1
13 posts
When I am editing a parameter in a standard node's attributes (tx, rx etc) pressing Alt+E brings up the nice Houdini expression editor. Right clicking and selecting ‘Expression’ and ‘Edit String’ brings it up as well.

If I am creating or editing parameters in Type Properties (Callback Script on a button for example) and I press Alt+E I get thrown into Notepad :evil:. Right clicking fails to produce a menu at all. Why can't I use the nice Houdini editor instead of that Microsoft CR ops: P?

Is this a bug or poor design?
Staff
2540 posts
Parameters themselves will invoke the Houdini expression editor when you press ALT-E. This is purpose built for authoring an expression specifically for a parameter field.

If you are editing text in other parts of Houdini's ui such as a code or script editor field as is the case with the Text Editor Code and Script fields and hit ALT-E, Houdini defers to the text editor that you have set up on your system with the $EDITOR environment variable.

On Windows, $EDITOR is set to Notepad so if you wish to use a different text editor, you have to either change or set the EDITOR system environment variable. If you have your favourite windows code text editor, set EDITOR variable to this app and the next time you hit Alt-E, you will get this specific editor.

On the Mac it is set up to /usr/bin/vim (or at least that is what I set it to…). Same with linux.
There's at least one school like the old school!
13 posts
I understand that this is a design feature. I can see the potential problems with using expressions in some of the fields when configuring parameters. Having said that, some of the fields are designed for expressions. I just think that the expression editor is far better for editing expressions than Notepad or any other generic editor.

Notepad often seems to screw up multi line expressions.
1 posts
Apriori
When I am editing a parameter in a standard node's attributes (tx, rx etc) pressing Alt+E brings up the nice Houdini expression editor. Right clicking and selecting ‘Expression’ and ‘Edit String’ brings it up as well.

If I am creating or editing parameters in Type Properties (Callback Script on a button for example) and I press Alt+E I get thrown into Notepad :evil:. Right clicking fails to produce a menu at all. Why can't I use the nice Houdini editor instead of that Microsoft CR ops: P?

Is this a bug or poor design?

I've created a plugin that makes it easier to use/configure an external editor with Houdini:

https://github.com/ArthurYidi/Houdini-External-Editor [github.com]

Check it out!
  • Quick Links