how do I link a multiparm value to another variable?

3037   2   1
13 posts
I'm creating a digital asset where I have a building object that is essentially a box that has a number of segments on each side and each segment will have different parameters. I want to have a “width” variable and a “depth” variable for the box, but then have those variables plugged into multiparm variables for “front” and “back” and then the other plugged into multiparms for “left” and “right”.
I also need nested multiparms for interior segments that the number of font aligned walls would equal “depth-1” and number of left aligned walls would equal “width-1”. Then inside those multiparms would be the multiparms that would contain the parameters for the number of wall segments for each interior wall. Such that each interior wall would again equal the “width” or “depth” variable.
I can't seem to find a way to insert a channel reference directly into the multiparm so that if follows the main variable (width and depth) and I can't name the nested multiparm in the linked channels on the main variable because the nested multiparm name changes as you add more segments.
Any suggestions on how to get the UI working?
I had tried putting the top level multiparm variables in the list of linked channels on the main width and depth parameters but in houdini 11.1.388 it was causing a segmentation fault when the variable was changed.

Attachments:
housemenutest.hipnc (51.1 KB)
menu_test.otl (31.4 KB)

181 posts
I think I see what you're saying, though I can't offer a solution.

It does seem inefficient to display a bunch of identical tabs labeled “floor2,” “floor3,” and so on if the building asset is just a single story tall. Maybe you can try to deconstruct an existing asset that discloses new parameters only as needed, and adopt that method.

Something like the LSystem kind of does that with its variables list:

13 posts
the digital asset will eventually have multiple floors, but for simplicity in getting the menu going without adding another level of nested multiparms to complicate the issue, I decided to not set that up yet.
  • Quick Links