Exporting a POP Network as FBX

3949   3   1
6 posts
Hi,

Is there a way I can export particle data (animated) via FBX? I need to get particle positions into 3ds max. If that doesnt work I would like to bake the particle motion onto objects (via copy node) and then export the animated geometry via PC files into max. I've tried it via FBX but it doesnt seem to generate pc files, only empty ones.
Any way except for Realflow to bring particle motion into 3ds max?
www.patrickprobst.de
229 posts
exporting an pop-network as an fbx wont work, because .fbx, as far as i've used it, only stores transformation hierarchies, geometries, and cameras. but not the pop-network.
the pop-network is just a set of instructions how the particles should be simulated, i think max would not know what to do with these instructions.

You could write out the particles. maybe read them back, and try to export the read-back particles it as .fbx but i doubt this would work.

does max have a alembic importer ? you could try and use that

Infernal
6 posts
Thank you for your reply!
Sadly the max version I am using (2012) has no alembic importer yet…

But I also think you misunderstood me or I didnt explain it clearly.
All I want is to transport information of each particles position/rotation/scale in every frame over to max (preferably as null objects or anything like that, helpers)
www.patrickprobst.de
229 posts
Hi Sowiedu,

yes i understood you correct, you are interested in the transformation data of the individual particles.

as far as i know .fbx does not support particles.

i havent tried it, but as far as i remember there is a real flow plugin for houdini i think it can write out particles into a real-flow particle cache, … maybe there is a way to read it into 3dsmax

Infernal
  • Quick Links