Low cost CPU: Xeon E3-1230v2 - Any one experiences/opinions?

3943   4   0
43 posts
Thinking about a “low” budget workstation solution.
Has anyone experiences or at least an opinions to
the Xeon E3-1230v2.
Is it enough for non professional use?

Would be so useful if anybody could help me, because I´m no hardware expert at all!

Greetings
Gerd

—————————————————————
Processor Number E3-1230V2
# of Cores 4
# of Threads 8
Clock Speed 3.3 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.7 GHz
Intel® Smart Cache 8 MB
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB
258 posts
I am not sure but unless you are gonna go dual cpu then its good to have a xeon setup, but some xeons are not configured to work with a second one. You need to check but I think this cpu doesnt work on a dual socket board with another next to it.

In that case, it doesnt worth it, If you are going for a new setup, then you should definietly go Xeon, but a cpu that is around i7 or i5 performance with hyper threading on a dual socket board. You can buy the pair later in the future
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
390 posts
@trice, i believe you have this backwards. tmk i7s do not support dual cpus on one board while xeons do
43 posts
This xeon can work only alone, not in 2 cpu system. If the budget allows, then I`d go for i7-3770k. This will allow you to get 4.5 Ghz speed under 30$ cooler for 24/7 without any problems. However it depends on your local prices. The one you`ve chosen is still very nice one, so if you can't spend more, then go for it. But the new xeon can't be overclocked
258 posts
zdimaria
@trice, i believe you have this backwards. tmk i7s do not support dual cpus on one board while xeons do

lemme correct my postt,I meant to go with a xeon cpu that has similar perofrmance to i7 or i5 but that specific Xeon does not support dual setups.
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
  • Quick Links