Is this powerful enough to work with Houdini?

1759   1   0
1 posts
I want to know what you guys think about this build for

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=831384 [digitalstormonline.com]

1. Houdini (just found out about apprentice program) currently pretty skilled in blender but I want knowledge for an industry leading package.
2. Solid Works (i realize many of you might not know of this program) its design package solid modeling for engineering / manufacturing.
3. blender as i understand it does take advantage of the SLI because of the cuda cores. I will always keep up to date on this magical little program. I like the community and such. (please, i don't want to start any type of argument over the viability of this program)

Thanks everyone in advance. Basically I want to be more mobile and if this solution won't work then I can't go mobile. This is about the best mobile pc you could possibly buy. I looked hard into new macbook pro but you simply cannot get this type of hardware with mac as they do not stay up to par with the best and latest HW solutions. I know the software is 2nd to none, is extremely well written and is efficient however I need more power than what they provide.

Also if you know of a better build or better company, please let me know.
8582 posts
personally if I want to be mobile I would keep an eye on the weight of the rig since that determines if it's really mobile or an anchor you would not like to put in your backpack

considering houdini you don't have to have the fastest hardware to be able to work
currently I have 4core, 16Gb RAM, 2Gb Graphics laptop and it's enough for everything I need to do in Houdini to prepare my scenes for processing

the hardware intensive processing (such as final resolution sims, heavy mesh computation and final rendering) of course benefits from as powerful hardware as you can get, but that can be a desktop where you are sending your prepared scenes to.

to my knowledge Houdini still benefits more from fewer faster individual cores than many slower ones since not everything is fully multithreaded yet
then as much RAM as you can get, but less RAM will force you to optimize your setups which is always a good thing so don't get spoiled by wasting your resources
single powerful graphic card over SLI for now

but to your original question
of course it's powerful enough, however you may still experience graphics problems, since Houdini can be very sensitive to Graphics Drivers
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links