Dynamic Leaves

6168   5   1
36 posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking for approach to acquire this kind of effect more realistic and procedural, as Peter Quint said, would be better using DOP sim https://vimeo.com/17309337 [vimeo.com]

I setup a simple scene, using a ground, scattering leaves in the ground. Firstly I'm using Wire object for the leaves, so the object move over the surface and affect the leaves, I didn't figure out how to inheritance velocity from the object to apply for the leaves.

I thought the solution could be related to transfer velocity attrib.

I'm new to houdini and this should be my first try for DOP sim.

Any tips would be great! Thx.
36 posts
I'll try to simplify a bit more my question. Actually, I think I dont understand the relationship needed between the networks.

My scattered leaves are connected into a popnetwork, where in my understandment would take care of velocity from another object…the object is a box dynamic, it will translate and rotate over the particles (simulating wheel), so I use a vopsop to transfer attribute velocity for the leaves in contact.

is it a good solution?
575 posts
one thing You can do is to use a voxel container to get the turbulence and forces from the object, and the use this fluidsim to advect the particles

to get a more realistic result You can use cloth for the leaves, the fluid sim interacts with the cloth.

I added two very basic scenes

Attachments:
particlefluidinteraction.hipnc (591.6 KB)
clothfluidinteraction.hipnc (719.3 KB)

36 posts
sanostol, that's exactly what I'm looking for, i'll need to take time to get control over the implementation, thank you for your time!
36 posts
sanostol, thx again, its working!
my leaves are scattered and applied to a cloth solver, so I move the object over the leafs and the effect appear as expected, it's very simple.

The voxel container is tracking the object, then I can set the size of the grid just a bit more larger to get enough time for the momentum effect, to create vortex and so on.

Next challenge will be take everything to a procedural workflow. Adjust the cloth properties for a correct behavior, to get a downfall more natural.

I'm planning to move leaves, papers and dusty also.

Attachments:
leaves_dyn.mov (590.2 KB)

36 posts
After I installed the 12.5.376 build (I was using 12.1.125) my sim isn't working properly, probably something related to cloth.
  • Quick Links