Problem with old Masterclass Crumpling and Tearing

3713   2   3
73 posts
I try to deal with the “Crumpling”
I found only one lesson on the subject “Masterclass Crumpling and Tearing”
but he is very old, the examples do not work, Insturment different, the scene does not work as a lesson to N12.5

I tried to recreate a scene from a lesson
In the end, I have to get a hit on iron
I entered the data as a lesson, but it turns garbage

What am I doing wrong?

and even simple scenes in the beginning of work completely wrong

Attachments:
crumb.jpg (35.3 KB)
cylinderHit_h12.hipnc (219.2 KB)

36 posts
Hi, hudmike, please watch this: http://cmivfx.com/store/506-Houdini+Embers+And+Ash, [cmivfx.com] the third part of it talks about Crumbling
696 posts
Cloth in Houdini is in a perpetual state of improvement, that being said, when the video was recorded behaved differently out of the box that it does nowadays. For starters, the surface mass density parameter on the cloth object automatically adjusted other internal properties. This would prevent you from re-adjusting material properties for every different surface mass density.
Nowadays that kind of automatic conversion is not present anymore which allows you to sim different types of fabric and get more realistic motion. On the other hand it breaks some of the old setups and you'd have to balance you material properties in a different way.
I tweaked your file a bit by adjusting the max collision resolution down to 32 and decreasing the substep tolerance to 0.125 which will help with settling your cloth by adding more substeps if necessary. I think that before your cylinder was collapsing over it's own weight.

Cheers

Attachments:
cylinderhit_h12_540.hipnc (217.1 KB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links