Instance question

11425   25   0
184 posts
Just a “FWIW” … and a shallow attempt to convert you over to the dark side…

Three lines of code vs half a dozen nodes: points on input1 given their relative distances to input2's center.

Attachments:
VEX_WrangleDistance2.hipnc (69.8 KB)

330 posts
Bry Phi

I do have to say one thing that I find a bit disappointing so far. I am a real big fan of nodal workflows because it allows the user to not have to worry about syntax, only the relationships between data. Its not that I have a huge problem with learning the syntax, but for simple relationships between vectors I would hope I could do it with pure nodal workflow.

i do not love code either

, so here is Adam's ‘wrangle’ suggestion converted in VOPs ..

objectMerge SOP nodes can help you to bring inside a ‘clean’ SOP network any item on scene or even any node from any other SOP network .

thats what i did ( added ) to Adam 's original file ..

.cheers

Attachments:
Adams_vex_wrangledistance2_in_VOPsEdition.hipnc (107.5 KB)

except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
184 posts
Nice one zarti … feels like we've come full circle!

Now, if only there was a RMB option to convert VEX to VOPs…

Edit: And of course there is, inside a Wrangle node… facepalm.
25 posts
Sorry to leave this thread hanging for a few days. I finaly have some time to get back to my Houdini journey. I will have a look at these files… thanks for your time guys.

I am sure I will be back with more questions before long.
25 posts
I just want to say how great you both are for putting this stuff together for me. It is helping me understand big time.

That last set up zarti is what I was after, although it is still going off of the point position it can work for most things. It is very close to the first set up I posted, but yours is defining a point and mine was not. I notice if I change it to polys and change the point number you can see that it is working off of the point positions.

Here is my next question… Is that the only way to get other items info into vops network? What if I wanted to use a bunch of items as reference in a vop network? Would all them need to be merged and plugged into the vops input? Also, what if I wanted to get the info of something at scene level? Is this possible? To get a scene level parent/local/ or world coordinate in vops.
184 posts
I'm only just now taking a proper look at VOPs myself, mostly in the SHOP context but they seem to be pretty much the same.

If you bear in mind that .hip files are a file system (literally), then it makes sense that you can point to nodes and pull parameters from them from anywhere in the project with the usual path expressions.

Bind and Parameter are the simplest and quickest ways to get data in.

Bind is faster, while Parameter has additional options relating to the Interface level (visibility, callbacks, menu settings, etc).

Both nodes can import attribute data, and write it out (“Use This Node to Set Parameter Attributes”).

Get Attribute can read indexed attributes from externally stored (disk) geometry…good for reading cached geo in DOPs I expect.

There's probably more, or better explanations, I'm just at the surface myself atm.
  • Quick Links