Resuming from Explicit Cache File for Pyro

6988   7   2
14 posts
Hello guys,

I have done a simulation of an explosion and now I would like to extend it (resume from my explicit cache frame) but I am stuck here. I have saved all my files in bgeo and turned on the explicit cache option before the simulation. According to the manual, I should be able to resume my current simulation but I don't know how to do it.

Let's say the simulation stops at frame 60.Now I navigate to that frame and hit simulation. All it does is simulating with lighting speed the rest of my timeline with empty files. It seems like it is not the right way to do it.

Any ideas ?

Thanks everyone
Staff
2540 posts
If you are writing out .sim files, then yes you can start off where you left off by loading in the last cached .sim file in to the top level DOP Network node's Initial State file parameter.

Two ways to generate .sim files:

1. On the top level DOP Network node, use the Explicit Cache option with the file name and the handy Explicit Frames To Keep option which when set to 1 will only keep the last simulated .sim file around.

2. Use a File DOP in your simulation network. Use this if you want to only cache out a part of your sim network results to disk. Usually the sim objects that take a long time to sim.

Note that .sim files can get large as they contain all the dop object data along with all their geometry. This makes option 1 above a good way to go.
There's at least one school like the old school!
14 posts
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer.

Actually, I tried the initial state solution but when I put my .sim cache frame in the box, it does not do anything. And when I change the start frame, it does not do anything either.

Thanks again
Staff
2540 posts
You have the DOP network in place that generated the .sim file?
14 posts
yes I did. Turned explicit cache on dop network. The sim file is 10Gb
14 posts
Maybe some fields are necessary in the .sim file ? I only have fuel, temperature, heat, density

Edit : you need the velocity field to make it work. Now it works.

Thanks
Staff
2540 posts
Oh how are you writing out the .sim files? Usually it is all or nothing. How were you culling the fields before writing the .sim files?

Yes, velocity is everything.
14 posts
I used explicit cache file in Dopnet node

and then I create a new geometry, a dop import killing all the fields I don't need and finally used ROP output driver to cache the sim in bgeo.
  • Quick Links