Polygon / Pivot Orient works with Copy, broken with Facet

3090   1   1
32 posts
Hi Everyone,
I am working on some assets that will be exported to 3DS max, in more details I have a piece of geometry and I use a facet node with the “unique points” option checked to separate each face, run a few ops on them and then export them.

After importing it in 3DS max I run a script that makes every face an instance to each other, and makes some transformations to keep them in position.

Here's the catch: when I do this with a model whose faces have been separated by the facet node, it doesn't work correctly (the faces rotate at a weird angle). If, instead, I usa a copy node and stamp some boxes on the points of the SAME geometry, it all works perfectly.

I believe the copy node does some automatic operations (I read something about the orient and up attributes) that corrects the orientation. I tried any sort of operation on normals with no luck - any clue about how I could make it work with the facet implementation as well?

Attachments:
works.png (177.2 KB)
doesntwork.png (154.1 KB)

1391 posts
Is this problem happening when you export geometry faces in the 3DMax and instance some faces on specify position of each imported face?

Houdini's Copy SOP automaticly use normal vectors to define direction of the pieces and you should use normal's direction in the your Max Script.

Other way is to export just center of the each pieces by point with it's normal and export it with Alembic file.

In the 3DMax instance your pieces on these points and use normal to define direction of each pieces.
:?
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
  • Quick Links