Flip fluid VDB surface clipping

5214   3   1
30 posts
Hi guys, I've been having trouble with trying to only mesh the topmost surface of my flipfluid tank. I've tried using a cookie sop on the VDB node but I believe it will only work with polys.

I read somewhere about using the VDB combine node but I don't really understand the usage. Can anyone help me with only meshing the top of the surface, for lets say a large scale ocean shot, where I don't particularly want a cube of liquid, just the surface of the ocean meshed from my flip.

Sorry for the bad english.
Shortcuts are supposed to be hard, if they were easy then they would just be “The Way”.
92 posts
Sugleris
I don't particularly want a cube of liquid, just the surface of the ocean meshed
hi! In the OpenVDB 2.0 (just released!) version of toPolygons, you can supply a level set “mask” that defines where you want to extract a mesh. This allows you to mesh just the top surface, and not the entire cube of the level set.

Check out the “example_meshing” geo node in the example HIP on the downloads page. [openvdb.org]

I hope that helps!

-jeff
7720 posts
To do what Jeff said in H13, the Convert VDB now has an additional input for masking.
30 posts
Thanks Jeff and Edward

So much better than converting to polys and using the cookie sop
Shortcuts are supposed to be hard, if they were easy then they would just be “The Way”.
  • Quick Links