Group primitive groups if not connected ?

5802   6   1
41 posts
Hi Everybody,

I've got a problem with groups and can't find how to solve it. The idea is, I need to group differents groups of prim only if they're not connected to each other.

For instance in the picture I've attached, I'd like to group together in a new group grp1 and grp4 and another on with grp3 and grp4 etc…

I wanted to find something with prim/vertex attributes and a for each node but I'm really stucked on that… any help or thoughts much appreciated

Thanks !

G.

Attachments:
grps.jpg (113.5 KB)

My portfolio : www.guillaume-j.com
1529 posts
Sounds like you are looking for the connectivity sop (in primitive mode), followed shortly by a partition sop based on the attribute created by the aforementioned connectivity sop.

Cheers,

G
8582 posts
or just use Assemble SOP as it is doing connectivity and partition inside
and check Create Groups instead of Create Name Attribute
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
41 posts
Thanks guys, but actually I want to merge groups together if they don't share edges in common (It's more the way I should've explained it I think). Like it's the case for grp3 and grp2 for instance.

I've used the partition / connectivity sop in order to create my groups, but I need to have less different groups now ( does that make sense ? )
41 posts
I've found something using python, comparing point from each groups … It should work ! But if someone has a easier way with houdini nodes i'd take it

Cheers
30 posts
I don't understand, what's wrong with connectivity/partition?
Maybe you aren't describing the problem properly…
Why do you want to merge groups together? Not to mention that (if I look at your first post) you don't have a clear rule to do that. If what you need is to group chunks of separated primitives (this is what I understand by “I want to merge groups together if they don't share edges in common”) then connectivity/partition is what you need. You don't need any existing groups for that. You can discard them.
41 posts
Sorry if I'm not clear I need to have the less groups I can in a object for further treatments.

I split my object into groups with the partition node then I want to “optimize” these groups by merging eachother if they don't share edges ( or points, actually ).

As you can see in that example ( pic I've attached ), red lignes are “cut” edges.

It works with a custom ptyhon node, just wondering if there was an easier way to do it with regular node.
Partition didn't help for merging groups, just to create them, but maybe I used it in the wrong way

Cheers,
G

Attachments:
grp.jpg (99.2 KB)

• Quick Links