Dynamic Modeling Question.

1948   2   1
59 posts
As a test I have created an architectural type object using tubes and the cookie sop. What I want to do is have the object as a quad poly object only. As you can see from the image each of the arch faces are Ngons with multiple points. I know I could go and connect each corresponding point on each arch faces using the poly split sop but I want to be able to do is control the mesh geometry detail by increasing or decreasing the column setting on each of the tubes that make up the final mesh.

I have attached the file so you can see where I am with this. As I increase or decrease the tube column setting the number of points on each arch face increases or decreases so my question is how do I get those faces to polysplit dynamically with the increase or decrease of the column setting?

Hope that makes enough sense for everyone!

Attachments:
new_vaulting_003.hipnc (1.2 MB)

4530 posts
If you can devise a logic of how those points are constructed, then you could write a small Python expression that would output the list of points to connect. But since you want to do this n times, you would have to use a Foreach SOP.

I think it's better to do all of this in VEX. Then you can group those points and use them in AttribWrangle SOP > Detail mode.

You still need to come up with a logical ordering of points though.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
59 posts
Thanks for the input pusat. I managed to figure out a way to achieve what I wanted without resorting to using Python or VEX. See attached file.

Attachments:
new_vaulting_forum.hipnc (1.2 MB)

• Quick Links