Osipa lip sync tutorials for Houdini?

4575   3   3
11 posts
I know this is a little particular but I have to ask..

Has anyone posted or found any tutorials on the Jason Osipa method of rigging for facial animation and lipsync as applied in Houdini?

Jason Osipa wrote a book ‘Stop Staring: Facial Modelling and Animation Done Right’. It was largely Maya based.

Thanks

Stephen
Gurbo
7 posts
It would be nice to start a thread on this topic
7025 posts
I was able to implement all of Osipa's techniques in Houdini, but of course I had to know the Houdini rigging technologies first So I think your best bet is to learn the rigging (wire deformer is particularly useful, in conjunction with other bone-based approaches) in Houdini through SESI's help, tutorials and the 3rd party stuff (CMI, Digital Tutors) then dive into the Osipa book armed with that knowledge.

I emailed Osipa about getting permission to translate his book into Houdini, he never replied.

Cheers,

PeterB
249 posts
If you approach it like his book with a literal translation then it sounds like you would probably need his permission. But just taking the best idea which is pretty much general techniques taken from various apps/forums should be fine.

My question is how did you implement the tapering concept he describes with regards to displacement. Tapering is pretty easy to do in vops on a geometry level (though i have to write a tool to speed up the process) but tapering with the addition of displacement is something i haven't yet tried.

Are blendshapes are best done in vops or with the blendshape sop. If i am doing tapering i prefer do to it in vops but im sure it can be done with a wrangle nodes + blendshape sop.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
  • Quick Links