FEM force feedback

4647   3   2
183 posts
Hello. I am currently trying to create a setup where an rbd object is dangling from a static object by a tube of FEM material. Unfortunately I am not sure how to get the rbd object to react to the internal stretching of the FEM object. Any ideas how to do this?
Staff
429 posts
Hi,

I've attached an example where an animated static object has a flexible solid object attached to it. Attached to the flexible solid object is a “rigid object”, which is actually a much stiffer solid object. I hope this helps.

Michiel

Attachments:
StaticSolidQuasiRigid.hip (195.8 KB)

183 posts
Thanks man! Such a simple solution that it's got me feeling kinda sheepish. Really makes sense once you think about it.
8555 posts
we are waiting for proper RBD/Cloth interaction since H10 and were advised to use temporary fix with stiff cloth objects and now stiff solid object
however that is not the same as interaction with RBD/Bullet, especially if I want complex constrained ragdoll with breaking off pieces to bounce off the trampoline for example, can't imagine straightforward way how to replicate all of it with Solid objects (and simulation time is another concern)

the glimpse of hope was this, introduced in h12.5
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/cloth/interaction_solvers [sidefx.com]

but since Enable Impact Feedback checkbox doesn't exist on Cloth Solver or FEM solver, I guess we still need to wait for proper solution

it would be as well nice to get at least Bullet Cloth/SBD implementation so that we have some working multiphysics enviromnemt, results from Momentum (Bullet ICE implementation) plugin for Softimage are too impressive to ignore
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links