Unable to Point Snap in houdini 13

2121   4   1
4 posts
Hi there,

I am new to Houdini, i started learning it 2 days ago. I was following a tutorial here on side effects, its in the Getting started, the Quickstart, where we create columns and break them.
In the tutorial (14:50 to 15:05), after he mirror the column, he then use point snapping, to snap the mirrored part to the original one.
This is where i am facing a problem, i am not being able to snap the mirrored part to the original one, i have tried all the settings inside the point snapping option and still no results.

Did anyone face this problem before? i would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me what m i doing wrong.
333 posts
hi,
i think point snap atm is a bit a broken in H13. which is a shame since it will confuse new people so much.

what you can do is actually display the markers (points) and when you do so you should be able to snap to the points. sometimes making a new scene view can help too. (ctrl t)

sidefx needs to fix it.
4 posts
Oh okey, thats what i thought since the other snap options are working fine.

Anw thank you for your fast reply, i will try that. I really hope side effects will fix that, its an amazing software, i am used to work on 3ds max, but i really want to go deeper in the vfx field so i think houdini is the best for this.

Thanks again!
333 posts
houdini is great! it just has a few problems sometimes. i'm sure snapping will be improved further soon.

some additional notes for snapping to template:
if you template something and want to snap to the points, you will in most cases have to change settings in the display options so it shows the points of templated geometry. You can do it in the Display Settings (Shortcut: D while hovering mouse over viewport), After that in Markers Tab:

Set Display Options for: Template Model Geometry. activate markers for points and on the little eye icon you can switch it to your needs. (i have set it to area around pointer atm for some testing and so far been happy )
4 posts
Great! i will definitely try that as soon as i can!
Thanks again!
  • Quick Links