File (disk) size troubleshoot

2227   5   0
10 posts
Hello,

The file size of the scene I'm working on jumped dramatically in file size. It was at 25MB then 300+MB then now its 1.3GB. I thought it was normal because I have 3 geometry container with volumes in them. But, when the 3 file saves that are more than 1.3GB in file size crashed - getting fatal error upon open, I discovered that the latest file in 300+MB turns into a 1.3GB file when saved. I was wondering if there's a way to know how much each node takes up disk space?

I saved the 300MB file in frame 1 but still it's written as 1.3GB file.

I'm not using DOPS. I have several pop.

I really appreciate any insights on how to approach this problem. Thank you!
7737 posts
Are using the latest H13 production build? This sounds like an issue that was introduced and fixed during H12.5.

make sure that no-one there is using builds between 12.5.357 and 12.5.375, those had the bug where we would be doubling up backslashes between saves, leading to a huge bloat, very quickly. Basically those builds should be avoided by everyone and marked dead.
10 posts
Thanks for the quick reply edward.

Ok, good to know it's a bug. Too bad I can't work around it by having new version since I'm working in school workstation. I think its policy not to do updates during the middle of the semester.

I'll try to work around it by migrating nodes or writing out geometry then create new file.

Cheers,
7737 posts
Are you actually using one of those bad builds?
10 posts
Yes, 12.5.371. You got it right!

I just talked to the lab tech and they told me the policy. So thats it.

Thanks again
7737 posts
I think the only way to avoid that bug is to only use forward slashes wherever possible. On Windows, definitely use forward slashes for your file paths.
  • Quick Links