Save VOPsop

2425   4   2
80 posts
Hi,

I have created a vopsop with a lot of parameters, noise and stuff.
Is it a way to “save” this vop sop to the tab menu or something?

Stig
622 posts
You may read Digital Asset chapter in help document.
80 posts
Thanks!

Hoped it would be a “save as” solution intead
Staff
2540 posts
You can absolutely save the code to disk. RMB on any VOP or the top node containing the VOP network and choose: Save VEX Code To File

You can edit the .vfl file's two pragma lines to give your tool a name and label:
#pragma opname my_tool
#pragma oplabel “My Tool”

Then you can compile that .vfl file in to an asset using the vcc command:

vcc -l my_tool.otl my_tool.vfl
to have a single asset inside an otl file.
or:
vcc -L my_tools.otl my_tool.vfl

if you want to save multiple assets inside a given .otl file.

In the end it has to be an asset tool to use in Houdini.

This approach allows you to write any tool you wish whether it is a VOP or a SOP/COP/ROP/CHOP/etc…

—-
This approach is quite old school as most are now using the RMB on their VOP network to create an asset directly in to an .otl file. The key benefit is the “As Code” toggle option on the first page of the Edit Operator Type Properties window as this will pre-compile the VOP network for you and you can always unlock and get direct access to the VOP network. If you save VEX code and compile the manual way as illustrated above, you loose the VOP network description.

That is if you want to use VOPs to construct your tools. If you just want to write vex code, then use vcc to compile the code to an asset in a .otl file to the type of node that you wish.
There's at least one school like the old school!
80 posts
Thank you!

I will need to read about that. Im trying to do most things without the need of coding as Im new to Houdini and need to understand the logics first.

Stig
  • Quick Links