paint subatribute

3824   2   2
13 posts

when I use node-paint, I can change value of atribute. But if atribute more i have some problems. can i paint subatribute ? For example "envelope weight“, ”envelope weight“, ”envelope weight".

I'm going to do custom envelop, and I want use this atribute to create map of enveloipe weight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQjOxoCf9nE [youtube.com]
599 posts
Max Evgrafov
when I use node-paint, I can change value of atribute. But if atribute more i have some problems. can i paint subatribute ? For example "envelope weight“, ”envelope weight“, ”envelope weight".
From the top of my head, there's a couple of ways:
  • Use the Red/Green/Blue merge modes in the paint SOP.
  • Write your values to a separate attribute and use a point wrangle to copy from that attribute to the target value (sample VEX code: "v@envelope_weight = @Cd.r;")
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
1799 posts
One thing that may be nice to make working with skinning a little easier in Houdini (and do not take me wrong, houdini does have great skinning tools!) is to allow for storage of weights in a more straighforward fashion (i.e. two dimensional array of influences vs points)

Although the index pair attribute is more memory friendly, dealing with a list of straighforward attributes is SO much easier… (plus we are able to leverage more of the rich attribute node library in houdini instead of just the capture nodes). I also feel the capture nodes in some cases act a bit “non-procedural”, making them a bit harder to integrate in procedural workflows

I even wrote a python operator (using numpy! thank you SESI ) to generate the weight attributes similar to SI and maya, process them in houdini using all the usual awesome operators, then write it back out to XML
-G
  • Quick Links