SURFACE FLOW PARTICLE FX

7419   5   1
5 posts
hi guys, newbie on houdini,

i'm trying do create fx like surface flow particle fx (like surface flow in maya) by using houdini…. i tried to used the concept from the ice breaking PDF tutorial from the side, to emit specific particle (amounts) based on the nprims() and $F. with low setting for forces and velocity, i can now stick the particles on the shape of the surface…. but the thing is i couldn't ‘flow’ the particle along the surface…..

i'm nto way it's a rite way to achieve the flow fx, is there any suggestion or solution for this fx? thnx guys…
132 posts
i'm not sure what surface flow is in Maya….. could you please describe it? I'm not sure what effect you're trying to achieve exactly.
11 posts
The surface flow effect in Maya is a premade script by alias that effectively uses a nurbs surface with it's uv-coordinates to control the particle flow.

In Houdini we have the Creep POP for this and it's luckily pretty much more dynamic. Furthermore we can do as well particle sliding as behaviour on a collision event .. for this check the first tuorial here to get you started http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/houdini_video/by_topic/effects/index.html [sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au]

Jens
5 posts
cool!!! thnx for the info guys…. i'm actually trying to flow the particles along a character geometry….
7035 posts
Particle sliding is the way to go if you want fast setup, Creep POP gives you more direct control but is harder to set up.

Particle sliding also works on polygons. Since sliding came along, I haven't used the Creep POP )

Cheers,

Peter B
5 posts
i've tried with the Creep SOP, (not POP yet), still struggling with the attributes.

I used a grid as source for the particle, and using Creep SOP to let the particle flow on the grid. But the result a bit off, set up problem i think.

By the way, particle sliding is cool also man, for surface flow fx…
  • Quick Links