OT:Finding good scripts for animated feature films

3000   3   1
543 posts
Hi folks,

I'm not sure where to find this kind of information, so I thought maybe the Houdini community would be a good source for referrals, etc.

Question: Where would find good scripts (for full length animated feature films) ready for production?

I was asked this recently and after a bit of Googling came up with lots of dead ends …

TIA!

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
4140 posts
If you could answer that question, my friend, you would be a very very rich man indeed.

There may well be some sort of repository out there where would-be writers may post scripts, but odds are they aren't very good(or at least the writer is very naive). When someone has a “property”, they need to sell it. To sell it, you usually need an agent, who has the contacts and hopefully can find someone who wants to produce it. The first step is usually getting it “optioned” - someone(often a producer but sometimes a director) gets the exclusive rights to the script for a finite period of time, and they try to actively get it produced(i.e. get funding, find a director, start up production).

So there isn't likely to be a collection of good unproduced scripts lying about - the agents all have them and are trying to get them sold. Writers are understandably fiercely protective of their scripts.

Having said that, I'm sure this process has gone online - how successful it's become is anyone's guess. You tend not to hear about Iron Giant-type scripts getting bought on ebay.

Oh look - here's one!

http://www.soyouwannasellascript.com [soyouwannasellascript.com]

Good luck!

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
543 posts
JColdrick
If you could answer that question, my friend, you would be a very very rich man indeed.
Yes, that would be nice … I recently met someone who's looking to make a killing in “the biz” … not sure about this guy, says he's got connections, got the money, just needs the intellectual property … duh!!!

JColdrick
There may well be some sort of repository out there where would-be writers may post scripts, but odds are they aren't very good(or at least the writer is very naive). When someone has a “property”, they need to sell it. To sell it, you usually need an agent, who has the contacts and hopefully can find someone who wants to produce it. The first step is usually getting it “optioned” - someone(often a producer but sometimes a director) gets the exclusive rights to the script for a finite period of time, and they try to actively get it produced(i.e. get funding, find a director, start up production).
Right … this guy says he can sell a good script to some executive brass he's going into business with … I'm not aware of much of this side of industry, but I promised him I'd ask around … for a finder's fee! :-)

JColdrick
I
So there isn't likely to be a collection of good unproduced scripts lying about - the agents all have them and are trying to get them sold. Writers are understandably fiercely protective of their scripts.

Having said that, I'm sure this process has gone online - how successful it's become is anyone's guess. You tend not to hear about Iron Giant-type scripts getting bought on ebay.

Oh look - here's one!

http://www.soyouwannasellascript.com [soyouwannasellascript.com]

Script Express … Fast Food Screen Treatments, Lord All Mighty, what did I get myself into now … All I wanna do is make pretty pictures and play music … :wink:

Thanks John!

–Mark
543 posts
You know that sinking feeling you get when something really stupid or awkward just passed your lips and as the music slows down, the lights dim, you hear that funny buzz in your ears … you think to yourself, “Why the hell did I just ask such a stupid question” … ops:

Oh well .. disregard …
  • Quick Links