Can't make my mesh unselectable.

4308   7   0
13 posts
I have created a character complete with materials, bone weights, UVs etc in a geometry subnet. I am now building a rig to add IK etc to my character, but I can't set my mesh so that it is unselectable. When I click on one of the controls I have created in the scene view, if I miss by even a single pixel the mesh is still selected.

I have set the selectable flag to False in the network but this seems to have had no effect. I have tried turning the selectability off in the subnet nodes without changing the selectability of the mesh.

This is the first time I have tried to create a character in Houdini and have, so far, managed to get everything to work except this. It can't be as hard as it seems.

I am a hobbyist, not a 3D artist.
7736 posts
Try turning off (in addition to your skin mesh object) the selectable (green) flag on your object subnets, including the top-level one.
13 posts
edward
Try turning off (in addition to your skin mesh object) the selectable (green) flag on your object subnets, including the top-level one.

Unfortunately the mesh is defined within a geometry node, hence the nodes within it do not have a, green, ‘selectable’ flag. Only the geometry node itself has the selectable flag and this seems to be ignored.
13 posts
Okay. I have now created a small project that demonstrates the problem I am having. If you load the attached file and click on the cylinder in the scene view it will be selected even though the selectable flag is off.

This is only true if the geometry node is within a subnet. If the node is at the /obj level then it can't be selected.

I am starting to think that this is either a bug or designed behavior.

Attachments:
selectMesh.hipnc (61.6 KB)

4189 posts
that's the correct behaviour of subnets.
13 posts
MartybNz
that's the correct behaviour of subnets.

Sounds crazy but I guess it must be true.

Why do they have the selectable flag if it is just ignored?
4189 posts
it seems strange at first, an explanation is that the subnet flag allows you select the subnet node, i.e. the cylinder and the null; if the subnet node green flag is turned off then you can only select the null node.
13 posts
MartybNz
it seems strange at first, an explanation is that the subnet flag allows you select the subnet node, i.e. the cylinder and the null; if the subnet node green flag is turned off then you can only select the null node.

Okay. I see how it works now. How strange and not exactly intuitive.

Thanks for explaining it to me.
  • Quick Links