Align Normals

2692   4   1
39 posts
Hello,
I seem to be having an issue with this set up and I can't understand why or where the problem is? If you open the file and play the timeline you'll notice that the geometry filps a lot and I presume it's do some Normal issue but cant see where? Does any one have any ideas?
Cheers

Attachments:
Flipped_normals.zip (33.5 KB)

8595 posts
the flipping is not about normals

you are using Divide SOP to split the ref_geo's polygons into triangles, but where it will put the splitting edges may differ every frame, since you have deforming geometry

to solve this either divide faces before deformation, or freeze first frame (Timeshift SOP) and plug into second input of Divide SOP as a reference geometry
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
39 posts
Thanks for you're reply Tomas. It makes sense now that you said the Divide SOP may differ every frame, what's weird is that is doesn't show that in the view port, the normals and geometry still align while they are being deformed? I tried to plug in a Timeshift SOP as your recommended, but it still seems to the have the same problem, the copied geometry is still flipped is some places. I don't get it?

Attachments:
Flipped_normals.zip (133.1 KB)

8595 posts
I didn't mean just connect Timeshift SOP, you need to delete the expression on the Frame parm as well to freeze one frame which will become reference for Divide SOP so it provides stable results over time

the fact that some geometry is flipped has to do with point order in each isolated prim, which is not necessary the same as vertex order, therefore not consistent with geo normal, to solve that you can just append Sort SOP and sort by Vertex Order

Attachments:
Flipped_normals_fix.hip (308.4 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
39 posts
Thank you for you're detailed reply Tomas. Makes it a lot clearer now.
Cheers
  • Quick Links