Bridging

5432   8   3
18 posts
Hello all.
I have a slight problem which has arisen out of my sheer laziness! lol .I made a character of mine in bits and pieces(please dont try this at home!!lol)and now I have a no. of segments that i need to weld together.
SO first I tried polyknit but got triangles.There is an option in max called bridge which allows me to bridge 2 borders with unequal vertices using quads.Does houdini have some sop which helps me do the same?(and i heard that sesi has given us a bridge sop which I have not taken the time to explore)

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Lanchka
18 posts
I beleive ur answer is the facet sop. you may need to play with the values to get ur results. btw u need to merge all those peices together then do the facet…
Cheeers
18 posts
I know it may be somethimg really simple but…… I am new to houdini and so could u tell me how this facet SOP works?
18 posts
Oh sorry if I didnt explain more,
Well you plug the Facet sop, use Consolidate points FAST. Dont ask me why, but fast is good enough.
There is a distace slider, its like a magnet higher will bring pixels that are far apart to form one pixel. Play with it you will see the results.
Also if you maybe wondering why the sop is not high lighting the geometry, press T and u will see that the yellow flag under the H column is not on u can toggle it on or off.
Have fun playing with the facet sop…
Staff
2540 posts
To join two arbitrary polygon edges with different point counts, you will want to use the PolyLoft SOP's Points option.

Create two point groups: one for the top edge and one for the bottom edge that you want to stitch together. In the PolyLoft SOP, turn on Points then specify each point group singly in the first two parameters. You will need to increase the Distance parameter until you get a proper formed surface between the two edges.

Your two edges should be seamed together.

Either that or use the PolyStitch SOP to manually connect the edges together. A combination of the two should do what you want.

The facet SOP only works when you have the same number of points on each edge and the pairing of points on each edge are closer to each other than the next point on the edge everywhere. If this is not adhered to, you will fuse unintentioinal points together creating degenerate or wing-edged polys that are hard to get rid of.
There's at least one school like the old school!
49 posts
Yes, PolyLoft is the way to go.

About the Facet SOP; The reason that Consolidate Fast is good enough, is becuase it is the best choice. It should be “Consolidate Newer Faster” and “Consolidate Older Slower”… basically the “Slow” version is an old method of consolidate included for backward compatibility… apparentley many people were very upset when the new version came out and demanded that they keep in that old version just to confuse everybody into thinking it must be better because it takes longer to compute
It does say something to that effect if you read the Parameter Help… but who the heck does that? I've been using Houdini for years thinking… “Well I better use slow, just in case.” :twisted:

I'm better now.
Jeff Willette
Freelance TD
18 posts
yea, I am wrong here, I guess the polyloft's the way to go… I didnt know such a sop existed thanks jeff!
see! thats the problem with Houdini, there are so many tools available that it makes it difficult to apply or learn all of them, so a student of houdini like me makes use of like 3-4 nodes to do something that 1 node which I may not be aware of will do the job!
But the good thing is that we have forums like this one and odforce to get me out.
18 posts
Okay I now this is rreally simple but how do i selest the vertices along the 2 borders to make point groups?(pardon my ignorance)

Cheers
Lanchka
2199 posts
In the viewport select change the selection type to edges, using the little buttons down the left habd side, then select one of the edges you are interested in, then hit “L” this should select the edge “L”oop. Then change the selection type to points and it will change your selection to a point group.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links