Differences between Houdini Indie and Houdini Engine Indie.

8894   6   0
10 posts
Hello, can you tell me what are the differences between Houdini Indie and Houdini Engine Indie. ?

I want to use Houdini to create digital assets and 3d modles + uv maps for Unity 3d.

If I buy Houdini Indie I will be able to use unity plugin for houdini ?
Or I must buy both of them (houdini indie + houdini engine indie) ??

Another question: Can I sell digital assets on orbolt by using indie license ? The people who have standard license will be able to use those digital assets ?.

Cheers!!
637 posts
kabat
Hello, can you tell me what are the differences between Houdini Indie and Houdini Engine Indie. ?
Houdini Indie => Houdini Software for Indie's
Houdini Engine Indie => Batch and Plugin for other Software. you can't model or create tools.
kabat
I want to use Houdini to create digital assets and 3d modles + uv maps for Unity 3d.
So you need Houdini Indie
kabat
If I buy Houdini Indie I will be able to use unity plugin for houdini ?
Or I must buy both of them (houdini indie + houdini engine indie) ??
When you buy Houdini Indie the license allow you to use the plugin on that system.

about the Plugin its at the bottom:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=244&Itemid=399 [sidefx.com]
kabat
Another question: Can I sell digital assets on orbolt by using indie license ? The people who have standard license will be able to use those digital assets ?.

Cheers!!
it looks like Yes:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=219&Itemid=382 [sidefx.com]

have fun :-)
48 posts
mandrake0 covers it pretty comprehensively there.

In simplest terms… “Indie” contains “Indie Engine”.
But then “Indie Engine” does everything that “Indie” can do, just without the Houdini graphical user interface… it's command-line only, so it's good if you're only using the Engine plugin functionality, or if you're running it on a farm machine.

If you only have one computer, “Indie” is the only one you'd need.
10 posts
Thank you very much for answers !

I have last question, if I will buy houdini indie for 199 $ I will be able to use this license only for one year (like Apprentice HD) ? Or I will be able to use this license still but I will got only 1 year upgrade plan ?

Cheers!
48 posts
It's $199 per year. The license will expire if you don't renew. Still a damn good deal considering the usual $4.5k + $2.5k-per-year maintenance for FX.

I don't think it's available just yet, but SESI mentioned setting up a conversion tool for apprentice-to-indie… so it may be that in the future you could drop back to apprentice if you're not using it commercially for a while, and possibly upgrade your scenes back to Indie if you wish to continue doing commercial work at a later date.

(If that happened, I presume it would take the same form as the current apprentice-to-FX conversion - ie, you send the scene files to SESI when you purchase a license, and they send back the converted files)
30 posts
Thanks for the clarification guys. Just bought Indie myself and wasn't sure if I needed to buy a license of engine to use houdini engine in maya.

Lots of learning to do in the days ahead.
10 posts
Again, thanks for answers!. Yes, Indie license is great deal for people like me (with small wallet ).
Peoples from Side FX made a fantastic decision !

Now, it's time to learn learn learn Houdini .
  • Quick Links