Houdini for Indie Game Devs

17620   27   5
636 posts
Paul Geraskin
lucas
Houdini Indie is now released: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2853&Itemid=66 [sidefx.com]

Could you say if it's possible to use one license on 2 machines? For example if i have home and work machines.
Or possibly to use one license on 2 machines at the same time?

I'm just thinking on buying the indie license, but i found no info about license using.

Thanks.

The license is per workstation so you have to buy for 2 machine 2 license.

EULA (Look at 3.4):
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2115 [sidefx.com]
93 posts
mandrake0
The license is per workstation so you have to buy for 2 machine 2 license.

EULA (Look at 3.4):
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2115 [sidefx.com]

Uhh… that makes me a problem. As i will not be able to continue learning Houdini at home. And no possibility to open indie files at home either.

Thanks for answering.

It would be cool to extend to 2 machines. I use 3DCoat commercial license - i can youse 3 machines with one license. But only one machine can run the license at the same time.
636 posts
Paul Geraskin
Uhh… that makes me a problem. As i will not be able to continue learning Houdini at home. And no possibility to open indie files at home either.

Well if you want to learn you can use a Apprentice version at home and in the company for learning propose.

when you have a contract you can use the Indie version. for a private project use the indie version because of the limitation. when you just want to test something you can do it with the Apprentice edition.
93 posts
mandrake0
Well if you want to learn you can use a Apprentice version at home and in the company for learning propose.

when you have a contract you can use the Indie version. for a private project use the indie version because of the limitation. when you just want to test something you can do it with the Apprentice edition.

Thanks for answering.
I just came from blender and 3dcoat. Where i have no such limits.
I'll try to use Apprentice at home.

Anyway, SideFX guys do great step forward to make 200$ license. Thanks to them a lot.

I'm a humble guy who will use Houdini on linux now! Yahoo!
636 posts
Paul Geraskin
I just came from blender and 3dcoat. Where i have no such limits.

well for installation and usage wise surly they have no such a limit specially blender :-)

when it comes to vfx stuff it looks different… well the big part LEARNING Houdini will come now so i wish you a good start with the tutorials.

btw: nice to read from “old school” just scroll to the middle:
http://forums.odforce.net/topic/17105-short-and-sweet-op-centric-lessons/ [forums.odforce.net]
48 posts
Paul Geraskin

You can open any scene file in the free Apprentice edition just fine. The limitation is that if you save the scene file, it'll be a .hipnc Apprentice scene file, which if you then attempt to open on an Indie or Full Commercial licensed machine, will automatically downgrade them to an Apprentice session.

So, Apprentice will open any scene files for learning purposes, you just can't actually do any commercial work in it without invalidating the scene's commercial status.
Staff
270 posts
Yes, the free Houdini Apprentice still exists for non-commercial use, and will remain an excellent way to learn Houdini.
2 posts
what about support for Garagegames Torque3d, seem odds you support Unity® and Unreal, yet not longer support garagegames community who was using houdini ver 9.0-10.01. I know as one of them it's frustrating that Side Effects don't seem to be support us any more.
  • Quick Links