Houdini Indie not such a good deal after all?

3668   7   0
378 posts
I have just learned that one can run into display issues very soon with other videocards than quadro or fir gl. That means if you want to avoid the vrey low performance cheaper quadros you have to spent additional 2000 bucks or more to use houdini professionally. I find that irritating given that the industry is heading towards high quality directx viewports. Maybe another reason why houdin is and will ever be a niche product.
166 posts
I run Houdini at home with a decent gaming graphics card. It works really good with no problems at all.
378 posts
Are you using a dual screen desktop?
I reported this issue to support today and have been told it's related to an unsupported graphics card:
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=34011 [sidefx.com]

I could really understand running into problems with complex shading and heavy scenes, but UI issues with one object? Please. I just bought the gtx 760 to do redshift GPU rendering. Why would I switch it? Better stick to SI then…
Edited by - Sept. 4, 2014 11:49:00
Staff
3455 posts
Houdini Indie and the hardware you run it on are two separate issues…

openGL is faster anyway..
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
Staff
5158 posts
Graphics card recommendations for the next version of Houdini will include many non-pro cards.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2680&Itemid=390 [sidefx.com]

Indie just happened to come out first.
378 posts
OK, thanks for that info If support had told me that instead, it would've really helped….

PS: I really have to get used to getting direct response from a dev in a forum. I comes almost as a bit of a shock
Staff
5158 posts
That particular bug is caused by the dual viewport panes. There is a bug in the GL cache in H13 that can cause some geometry to disappear when two different 3D views are shown. This is resolved in the next major version but isn't something that can be fixed in H13.

Instead, try using a single viewer with 2 viewports, both set to perspective.
378 posts
Actually I was using only one 3d view. What you see in the screenshots are just comparisons between single and dualscreen desktops in different states, not two instances of a 3d view or houdini. I had another issue where parts of an object were still present in the secen after hitting Alt N to create a new scene. I t only was deleted when I reloaded my desktop.
  • Quick Links