Motion Blur

4717   5   3
22 posts
Hello everyone,

I got a bug, with wings, that I've model and I want to make it fly. But I also want the wings to blur when it flies. How would I do this?

I got the fly in one geometry, the wings attached to the body and the shell. I've tried going into the bug geometry's parameter…under motion blur I gave it Velocity Atrribute Blur…but entire fly becomes blurry when it moves. How would I only make the wings blur?
23 posts
Brownies
Hello everyone,

I got a bug, with wings, that I've model and I want to make it fly. But I also want the wings to blur when it flies. How would I do this?

I got the fly in one geometry, the wings attached to the body and the shell. I've tried going into the bug geometry's parameter…under motion blur I gave it Velocity Atrribute Blur…but entire fly becomes blurry when it moves. How would I only make the wings blur?

You can separate the wings into another object and have the blur only on the wings object.

Christine
132 posts
It depends on how your bug is setup. Velocity motion blur should only work if your bug has velocity. Is he being copied onto a point from a particle system giving him velocity? If the wings are animated at the sop level (ie in a transform or copy sop within the object) they should render with motion blur if you turn on “deformation motion blur.”

If you want both velocity motion blur AND deformation motion blur I think you may have to seperate your objects out.

You could also use a trail sop to calculate your entire bugs velocity (including wings.) and motion blur it based off velocity after you've baked velocity into all of your bugs points using the trail sop.
Staff
2540 posts
If you turn on velocity motion blur, you get transform, deform and motion blur on top of velocity attribute motion blur. Transform addswith either deform or velocity blur if “v” is present. This means that transform motion blur will layer on top of the velocity blur in case of the wings. Handy if you have animated cameras or your bug is animated in world space.

There is a catch though.

The bug can use the Trail SOP on the wings with the option to calcuate velocity on. If you merge the wings with the rest of the bug inside a single object, then the Merge SOP will apply zero velocity attributes for the rest of the bug if and only if there are no velocity attributes present on the rest of the bug. This means the wings will only motion blur.

The_squid rightly said that if the bug is being animated from a particle system, then you can easily transfer the velocity from the particle to the copy geometry right in the Copy SOP in the Attribute folder and turn on “Copy Template Point Attributes” and leave the To Point Set option to * which means copy all point attributes from template to copy.

If the bug body is being animated some other way in SOPs, then you have to apply a trail SOP to the entire bug after the Merge SOP or on the enitire bug however your SOP network is constructed. Either that or separate out the bug body and the wings in to two separate objects and render the bug body object with deform based motion blur and the wings object with velocity based motion blur as the_squid recommended.
There's at least one school like the old school!
212 posts
someone mentioned to me the other days that mantra couldn't handle multi segment motion blur.. is that true?
-k
639 posts
Hi Ken, How's it going in the cold Toronto these days?

Unfortunately, Mantra don't do multi-seg motion blur… Would be a nice RFE tho. Unless Pixar holds patents to that too…
  • Quick Links