horrible rendertimes

1608   3   1
237 posts
Hi,

I'm relative new to Houdini and hang arround the last year with learning the Basics…. Now the time is arrived where I want to start render my RnD's. But wow, something I'm doing wrong. I.e. the attached file needs more than 4 Minutes on a 32 Core Dual Xeon for one frame. Just check it out and start render this frame. This couldnt be…

Would you mind to check the file out and telling me where are my mistakes?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
rse_vopsop_activeCountdown03.hip (675.9 KB)

4189 posts
Whilst we are checking it - can you render with the verbosity on Mantra turned up to 2. In the console/terminal render info will show what is taking the time.
8582 posts
without any changes it takes 5m20s on my 4-core laptop i7-2720QM
so your time seems to be quite slow for how much better your machine seems in comparison

and even though you can improve it slightly (4m20s on my laptop) , it still doesn't change the fact that your machine should be much faster:
- min ray samples to 1 (as more than that doesn't really help your scene, changing )
- Shading/Color Space to Gamma 2.2 (to get more even noise sampling if you're displaying your image with 2.2 gamma)
- increase bucket size (maybe just to 32)

and I noticed, that you've added vm_gamma to your mantra and set to 2.2, which will bake that correction to image being saved to disk
that is usually not desired if you are saving to linear format as exr

H13.0.401
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
237 posts
ok. solved. in the verbose = 2 Output I noticed that the thread count wasnt on max processors. Just 8 Threads.

no I get with motion blur 0:58 thats ok…

thanks a lot for your suggestions
  • Quick Links