Building python modules for Houdini 13 on Windows

4390   6   1
4 posts
Hi, first post here. I searched a bit on this question, but haven't come up with any clear answers yet.

Houdini version is 13.0.509-win64-vc11.exe

I've built opencv using Visual Studio 2012 ( (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe (ver 17.0.50727.1) ), and installed the resulting cv2.pyd in Houdini's python2.7 site-packages directory.

To be clear, I used the .sln solution file generated by cmake, per the opencv Windows build instructions provided at opencv.org and was sure to point it to the appropriate Houdini python location, etc…

In Houdini, the module *seems* to attempt to load (doesn't complain in the usual “no module named <blah>” way), but then I get an ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

It's worth pointing out that I'm having the same issue with my Anaconda python install, so this isn't specific to Houdini python. Nonetheless, I'm putting the question up here since I figure you guys on Windows must be trying the same sort of thing I'm attempting.

Any ideas what to do next? I'm new to using Windows, used to linux and OS X so not really sure what else I need to be checking for.

Thank you in advance for your time.
7725 posts
Try running Houdini under the Dependency Walker [dependencywalker.com]. This used to be a tool distributed with Visual Studio until it branched off. Maybe some of the errors that occur while loading your .pyd might give you some ideas.
4 posts
Thanks! I'll give that a shot.
4 posts
Thanks again. For some reason, the .dlls weren't being installed along with cv2.pyd under site-packages.
383 posts
I saw on the numpy forum that you also tried to compile numpy with vc11 ..
Did you succeed ? there is a version of numpy compiled with vc11 on the freecad forum in the libpack.
I am searching for a build of scipy with vc11. Did you try that too ?
www.woogieworks.at
4 posts
Hey, sorry to revive a necro'd thread, but I finally got numpy 1.9.x to build with the Intel Math Kernel Library (BLAS/LAPACK functionality) using vc11 and the Intel Fortran compiler.

Please see:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/building-numpyscipy-with-intel-mkl-and-intel-fortran-on-windows [software.intel.com]

Got it built and installed to hython with no problems. Tests verify correct operation and that MKL is being used, etc…

Next, I built scipy and installed it as well. Looking pretty good… zero erros in “fast” test mode. However, 8 errors in “full” test mode, but I'm working on it.
383 posts
any news on your scipy build ?
would you share this build ?
www.woogieworks.at
  • Quick Links