Changing playback speed w/o Houdini changing keyframes

6908   2   2
23 posts
Hi everyone,

I have a script which needs to make Houdini change its playback speed. I've tried using the fps command, but it scales my keyframes. I can't have this happen. I'd like to be able to change the playback rate, to a multiple of real-time, like 100 times faster than real-time, for example. Something like the step/multiplier in the Global Animation Options, which doesn't seem accessible from a script. How can this be done?

I'm using Houdini 6.5.102 on Windows XP.

Thanks!
Christine
Staff
2540 posts
Only way to do this is to put in a chstretch command to stretch out the animation back. Only do this if you really need to. For example, you need to properly calculate motion blur at rendertime. I have done this numerous times back and forth and as long as you don't snap keys, you should end up where you started.

The step multiplier is the way to go for playback speed control and the textport equivallent is:

fplayback -f 0.5

where 0.5 is the scale factor. This will playback houdini at half speed when you have the real time toggle on.

For those of you wondering why the animation is stretched when changing fps, some users work at a different time, such as 12 or 15. It becomes an easy task to just up the FPS and do the render. Animation scales nicely up and keeps the timing in tact.
There's at least one school like the old school!
23 posts
Excellent!

Thank you, sir
  • Quick Links