OT: Linux help

4277   2   1
344 posts
Sorry, I really don't know where else to go with this.

I mostly prefer using Apprentice on Linux, but I have a problem lately. I have to boot from floppy because installing the bootloader on the MBR seems to screw up my Windows install. Well, the floppy controller on my MB is flakey, and it takes me a dozen or so reboots just to get the floppy to load properly each time I want to start Linux. I've tried different floppy drives, different disks, same problem every time, so I think it's the controller on the MB itself.

What I want to know is if it's possible to make an image of my linux floppy and burn it to a CD to boot, or if there's some other way to boot Linux without using the floppy or installing a loader on my MBR.

I've found several sites, that suppoively show you how to do it, but have been unsuccessful. If anyone knows of a way to do it in Windows with Nero, I'd be most appreciative because I have not been able to successfully boot Linux since Wednesday night :x
4140 posts
Well, if your floppy controller is flakey - that certainly limits your options. In short, I would get something like PartitionMagic that comes with BootManager - this essentially gets installed to the MBR and controls what will boot - it will automatically detect a proper /boot directory for Linux and let you boot from there, or optionally windows. Also, I know people that have just gone ahead and installed Redhat Grub bootloader to the MBR - and it lets you boot either Windows or Linux - but I personally can't recommend this since I haven't done it myself…it's risky since if it *doesn't* work, for one reason or another, you've lost Windows. BootManager is a little smarter and warns you if there's something not set up correctly before it installs…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
344 posts
Thanks Mr. Coldrick. Well, I went and and goot Boot Magic, only to find out that it won't install because my hda1 is NTFS, and I can't convert the drive because it has errors that every disk utility seems to be able to diagnose, but none can fix.

I did finally mange to finally boot my floppy. I think I'm just going to leave my computer running forever.:evil:
  • Quick Links