IGES Support

5272   8   2
4140 posts
Any chance this will be revisited soon? I've been having a murderous time getting NURBS data in from Unigraphics(I noticed someone else, late last year, was trying to do this too). The problem seems that the Houdini conversion chokes on a particular heading, like this:

ERROR: Could not identify section type - line 906
Identified sections are: HEADER TABLES BLOCKS ENTITIES

and of course looking at line 906 in the orignal file doesn't seem to correlate with line numbers - probably because giges is creating a temp file? Anyway, here's some typical header info if that's useful:

HUnigraphics G 1 3 Version X V1.0,24HUnigraphics NX IGES V1.0,32,38,16,38,16,24H

and I am able to successfully load the file in a competitor's product. It seems like Houdini hits a certain category and then segfaults - shouldn't it gracefully step over anything it doesn't parse?

hfs7.0.271, SUSE 9.1

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
276 posts
Hi John,

You're absolutely right – giges should just be walking over stuff it doesn't recognize. From the sounds of it, it is encountering some structural differences that it can't handle (i.e. it's not just an entity it doesn't recognize). giges implements a subset of IGES 5.3 – don't know if that helps.

If you can, please send a sample file that crashes to support.

Thanks John,
George.
2199 posts
This is an old answer, and you probably know about it already. We find we always have to pass all iges stuff from CAD though Rhino before importing it into Houdini. It's a rare file that doesn't benefit from this.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
48 posts
Ditto to what Simon says. The only way I found to get reliable transfer from Unigraphics was through Rhino. They have an evaluation version that gives you something like 25 saves.
Adtech Communications Group
4140 posts
Thanks for the hints, guys…George I've sent an IGES file to support so hopefully something can be gleaned…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
276 posts
Thanks John.

Take care,
George.
405 posts
Hey JC,

I will also back up the Rhino claim. It is good for more than just Houdini. They seem to export to all the important packages with specific compatabilities. Even PolyTrans won't give you the same level of transfer support that Rhino will for certain file types.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
276 posts
Hi,

The seg-fault in giges should be fixed in build 7.0.341. Thanks for helping us track this one down, John.

Take care,
George.
4140 posts
Yay! Thanks George…

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links