Houdini needs a native scanline renderer

5127   8   2
80 posts
Hi, I am a motion graphic designer and I do motion titles mostly. I am developing some techniques in Houdini for motion graphics. Everything is beyond my imagination and it's flexible more than ever using houdini. Only one barrier which is pushing me to use Maya is the render engine.

Yes, Motion Title rarely needs GI based render. If I am not wrong Houdini doesn't have any scanline render engine. Does it? If no, then please take a look at it. in the attached image.

I have done the chess with Houdini but has rendered it with Maya scanline render with some simple light rigs I made and tweak it in After Effects. it took 3 seconds per frame to render where as GI took 1.50 minutes to render per frame (with noise).

Hope Houdini will be more friendly with motion designers and I believe it has a great future in this sector along with film and vfx.

Attachments:
1913494_10203421603482835_1957247970_o.jpg (38.2 KB)

Staff
1182 posts
Did you try the MicroPolygon rendering option.

Go Render > Create Render Node > Mantra

Click on the Properties Tab then the Render Tab. Set Rendering Engine to Micropolygon. This should have no GI and no raytracing. It probably won't be 3 seconds but it should be faster.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
80 posts
rmagee
Did you try the MicroPolygon rendering option.

Go Render > Create Render Node > Mantra

Click on the Properties Tab then the Render Tab. Set Rendering Engine to Micropolygon. This should have no GI and no raytracing. It probably won't be 3 seconds but it should be faster.

Robert

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes I tried Micropolygon actually. But it was too slow in my view compare to scanline of Maya. And had a resterize artifact. Though I am not sure of the settings. I need to take a look at it again then. Thanks. But If you could have a faster scanline that would be very helpful for motion title artists. Please consider it in your wishlist.
129 posts
you can use out->opengl . OpenGl render is faster than maya scanline render, believe me.
1391 posts
Yes , If you don't need to special reflection/refraction , as aty84122 said you can use OpenGL renderer .

About Mantra rendering you have different setting to decrease your Render Time (Not so much).

for example :
Decrease Max Ray Samples , Reflect Limit , Refract Limit , Shading Quality Multiplier.

Even in different situations , Physical Based Rendering engine and Ray tracing engine is so faster than Micropolygon Rendering engine.

Also If you create your material manually , it can speed up your rendering time instead of using standard materials in the gallery.

for example you can use only one Surface Model VEX node for computing Reflection , Refraction , Diffuse , Bump and etc.

Although Maya software is really fast , But you can use some cool features in the Mantra for mographs too , such as skylight , Geometry Light , GI , AO , caustics , glossy reflection and refraction , Ray trace shadows , SSS and etc .
8)
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
80 posts
Thanks all! I have tried these facts but the results are not satisfactory in term of time consumption and labor + expertise. Although I have found that Houdini Maya integration is working like a charm in my pro pipeline. I am developing procedural assets in Houdini and working with it in Maya now. It's saving a lot of time. But still, I hate to use tons of apps and love only one queen to have. hehehe 8) Please Houdini Gurus. Consider it as a fundamental requirement.
1391 posts
cgvirus
Thanks all! I have tried these facts but the results are not satisfactory in term of time consumption and labor + expertise. Although I have found that Houdini Maya integration is working like a charm in my pro pipeline. I am developing procedural assets in Houdini and working with it in Maya now. It's saving a lot of time. But still, I hate to use tons of apps and love only one queen to have. hehehe 8) Please Houdini Gurus. Consider it as a fundamental requirement.

Yes ,I believe environment rendering in the Maya is simpler than Mantra in Houdini.
I'm Maya user too ,I usually render Volumetrics such as Dust , Fire , Smoke , Explosions in the Houdini , Because Mantra is really faster than others for these effects , Also it's perfect for rendering Particles , And I render others such as environments , models and etc in the Maya (MR , Arnold , V-Ray).

Houdini Engine is perfect for transferring data from Houdini to Maya , But I usually use Alembic format for this purpose , It's really perfect for exporting animated geometries (like Motion Graphics ) to Maya.
Also FBX work's great for exporting Camera to Maya without any different in camera's motion and parameters 8)
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
80 posts
[quote="Houdini Engine is perfect for transferring data from Houdini to Maya , But I usually use Alembic format for this purpose , It's really perfect for exporting animated geometries (like Motion Graphics ) to Maya.
Also FBX work's great for exporting Camera to Maya without any different in camera's motion and parameters 8)

Great! Can you give me some link or suggestion about Alembic Format thing? That would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
  • Quick Links