Different result with Rendered PNG and MPlay.

4418   2   0
93 posts
Hi.

I'm still learning Houdini. I found that rendered result is different for Fire Simulation.

Here is an example

I guess this is because of GRBA channels which can have more than 1.0 values.
Is it possible to get the same result as MPlay has? Even for rendering of 8bit PNG file.

I attached my test scene. I rendered Frame 50.

Thanks.

Attachments:
export.zip (350.9 KB)

7722 posts
Mantra renders with linear color values and mplay is viewing them assuming that your monitor has gamma of 2.2. In your compositor (not sure I recognize which one), you should also have it calibrated to display using gamma of 2.2. For compositing, do *NOT*:
- Use 8-bit (per component) since it doesn't have enough precision for linear color values. Best practice is to render to .pic files (for compositing within Houdini), or to .exr files (for compositing outside of Houdini).
- Apply a gamma to your linear color values and then composite with it because that is wrong and can give bad results depending on the situation (eg. scaling). If you must apply a gamma for your final output (say if you're outputting to the web), then do it *LAST*, right before you save to disk.
93 posts
Thanks you a lot.

It seems fire rendering is not so simple task. If i need to get things to png 8 bit…

- I should always render 32 bit exr then compose it to get right colors.
- This topic helped me to get correct alpha channel for Fire simulation. https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=29263 [sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links